Robert S. Bolt
Bob is a founding shareholder of the Firm, who concentrates his practice in the areas of complex commercial litigation, business law, taxation and retailing. After graduating from the University of Florida law school and the graduate tax program at New York University, he served two years as a law clerk at the U.S. Tax Court in Washington, D.C. Bob began private practice as a litigation associate in a boutique tax firm in Jacksonville, Fla., where he represented taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service, U.S. Tax Court and various U.S. Federal Courts.
Co-founded and managed the Firm
After several years working in Jacksonville, Bob moved to Tampa, joined his law school classmate Les Barnett and formed Barnett & Bolt, P.A., where Bob handled all of the firm's litigation and tax controversies. While maintaining a full-time law practice, Bob also served as Chairman / CEO and then Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Firm for the first 37 years of its existence.
From litigation to corporate practice
Soon after moving to Tampa, Bob began representing one of Florida's largest chain retailers in various lawsuits. That engagement grew and lead to his appointment as outside general counsel for that company. As the senior managers of that company left to work elsewhere, they hired Bob as their outside general counsel. Thus began a series of long-term outside corporate counsel representations that continue to this day, complementing his core practice of commercial, tax and administrative litigation.
Bob is a fourth-generation Floridian. He and his wife, Nancy, are active members of the First Presbyterian Church of Brandon. He is an avid private pilot, saltwater fisherman and diver, and lover of Florida history and the Florida Gators.
- Commercial, tax and administrative litigation
- Corporation and business legal advice
- Federal income, estate and gift taxation; state and local taxation
- General Counsel core competencies, including corporate governance, litigation management and loss prevention, financing, vendor relations, commercial real estate, Uniform Commercial Code, employment law and shareholder, Board of Directors and Senior Management fiduciary duties
- The Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Corporate Law and Tax Law (2013 - 2015)
- Corporate Counsel - The American Lawyer Magazine, Top Rated in Commercial Litigation (2012)
- Florida Super Lawyers (Business/Corporate), Law & Politics Magazine, 2006 - 2015
- Tampa Bay's Top Lawyers, Tampa Bay Magazine, July/August 2010
- Florida Legal Elite (Business Law), Florida Trend Magazine, 2005 - 2006
- One of "most influential" attorneys in southwest Florida, Tampa Bay Business Journal, 2004
- America's Leading Business Lawyers (Taxation), Chambers & Partners USA, 2004
- AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell, continuously since 1981
- Military Service: U.S. Army Reserves (ret.)
- University of Florida (B.A., 1967; J.D., with honors, 1971), Phi Kappa Phi
- New York University (LL.M., in Taxation, 1972)
- The Florida Bar (1971)
- U.S. Tax Court (1974)
- All federal district courts in Florida (1974-1976)
- Chairman/C.E.O., Barnett, Bolt, Kirkwood, Long & Koche, P.A., Tampa (1976-2008); Chairman of the Executive Committee (2008-2013)
- General Counsel, Minyard Food Stores, Inc., Dallas, TX (2004-2010)
- General Counsel, Sports & Recreation, Inc., formerly Jumbo Sports, Inc., Tampa (1999-2001)
- General Counsel, Kash n' Karry Food Stores, Inc., (aka Sweetbay Supermarkets), Tampa (1988-1997)
- Law Clerk to the Honorable C. Moxley Featherston, Judge, U.S. Tax Court, Washington, D.C. (1972-1974)
- "The New Original Issue Discount Rules," The Florida Bar Journal, December 1984
- "Highlights of the Subchapter S Revision Act of 1982, Parts I and II" The Florida Bar Journal, March and April 1983