Jennifer E. Murphy
Jennifer is a partner in the firm’s Tax and Business Law departments. Prior to joining the firm in 2007, Jennifer spent three years as an Assistant Professor of Legal Skills teaching legal research and writing at Stetson University College of Law. In addition to teaching, she was a coach, together with Craig Behrenfeld, of Stetson’s Tax Moot Court Team in 2006 and 2007. Under Jennifer and Craig’s direction, the team won the National Championship in 2006 and 2007. Jennifer started her legal career as an associate attorney in the Tampa office of Akerman Senterfitt.
Jennifer practices in the areas of corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, taxation, and estate planning. In the area of taxation, she represents taxpayers (individuals and entities) in disputes with the IRS and the Florida Department of Revenue. As the author for the past several years of Tax Consequences of Dissolution, Separation, and Property Settlements in the Florida Bar publication, Drafting Marriage Contracts in Florida, Jennifer is often called upon to draft and negotiate marital settlement agreements and premarital agreements, especially when the parties have complex business holdings.
Jennifer earned her law degree, cum laude, from Stetson University College of Law in May 2000, where she served as an articles & symposia editor for the Stetson Law Review. Jennifer received the West Publishing Company Award for Outstanding Scholastic Achievement at graduation and book awards in federal income tax and evidence. Prior to attending law school, Jennifer received her Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of South Florida in 1996, where she majored in English and minored in Criminology.
Jennifer lives in Tampa with her husband, Joe, and their two young daughters, Lily and Kathleen. She and her family are active parishioners of St. Timothy Catholic Church in Lutz, Florida.
- Federal income taxation
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Corporate and partnership law
- Prenuptial agreements
- Estate planning; probate and trust administration
- Stetson University College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2000)
- Articles & Symposia Editor, Stetson Law Review
- University of South Florida (B.A. 1996)
- AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- The Florida Bar (2000)
- U.S. Tax Court (2012)
- Assistant Professor of Legal Skills, Stetson University College of Law (2004-2007)
- The Florida Bar (Tax Section)
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Hillsborough Association for Women Lawyers
- Tampa Bay Estate Planning Council
- "Tax Consequences of Dissolution, Separation, and Property Settlements" in Drafting Marriage Contracts in Florida (6th Ed. 2004, 7th Ed. 2006, 8th Ed. 2008, 9th Ed. 2010).
- "Tax Consequences" in Florida Dissolution of Marriage (10th Ed. - 2010).
- Presented "Florida’s Homestead Portability Benefit and Other Issues to Consider in Contemplation of Divorce" at the March 2010 Membership Luncheon of the Tampa Bay Paralegal Association.