Jennifer is a partner in the firm’s Tax and Business Law departments. Jennifer practices in the areas of tax controversy, corporate and business law, and mergers and acquisitions. In the tax controversy area, she represents taxpayers (individuals and entities) in disputes with the IRS and the Florida Department of Revenue. In the business law area, she represents companies of all sizes, from the small, family owned business to national companies in various industries. In addition, as the author for over ten years of Tax Consequences of Dissolution, Separation, and Property Settlements in the Florida Bar publications, Drafting Marriage Contracts in Florida and Florida Dissolution of Marriage, Jennifer also represents clients with premarital agreements and structuring marital settlements in a divorce when the parties have complex business assets and tax issues.
Prior to joining the firm in 2007, Jennifer spent three years as an Assistant Professor of Legal Skills teaching legal research and writing at Stetson University College of Law. In addition to teaching, she was a coach, together with Craig Behrenfeld, of Stetson’s Tax Moot Court Team in 2006 and 2007. Under Jennifer and Craig’s direction, Stetson’s team won the National Championship both years. Jennifer started her legal career in 2000 as an associate attorney in the Tampa office of Akerman.
Jennifer earned her law degree, cum laude, from Stetson University College of Law in May 2000, where she served as an articles & symposia editor for the Stetson Law Review and received the West Publishing Company Award for Outstanding Scholastic Achievement at graduation. In May, 2016, she completed her LL.M. in Taxation degree from Boston University School of Law. Prior to attending law school, Jennifer received her Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of South Florida, where she majored in English and minored in Criminology.
Jennifer lives in Tampa with her husband, Joe, a professional musician, and their two young daughters.
- Business Law
- Tax Law
- Trusts & Estates
- Boston University School of Law (LL.M. in Taxation, 2016)
- Stetson University College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2000)
- Articles & Symposia Editor, Stetson Law Review
- University of South Florida (B.A. 1996)
- Florida Legal Elite 2017
- AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- The Florida Bar (2000)
- U.S. Tax Court (2012)
- Assistant Professor of Legal Skills, Stetson University College of Law (2004-2007)
- The Florida Bar (Tax Section)
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Hillsborough Association for Women Lawyers
- Tampa Bay Estate Planning Council
- “Tax Consequences of Dissolution, Separation, and Property Settlements” in Drafting Marriage Contracts in Florida (6th Ed. 2004, 7th Ed. 2006, 8th Ed. 2008, 9th Ed. 2010).
- “Tax Consequences” in Florida Dissolution of Marriage (10th Ed. – 2010).
- Presented “Florida’s Homestead Portability Benefit and Other Issues to Consider in Contemplation of Divorce” at the March 2010 Membership Luncheon of the Tampa Bay Paralegal Association.