Trusts & Estates
Barnett, Bolt, Kirkwood, Long & Koche, P.A.'s experienced and knowledgeable Tampa estate law attorneys design and administer estate plans and other documents uniquely suited to each client. Strong tax wisdom exists within the firm, which allows creation of tax-minimizing strategies for even the most complicated estate plans. The firm focuses on:
Barnett Bolt’s estate planning attorneys develop comprehensive estate plans for a wide range of clients, including high net worth individuals, business owners, professionals, and multigenerational, blended, and young families. In addition to preparing traditional wills and revocable trusts, the estate planning attorneys have extensive experience developing complex estate plans for wealthy individuals and families that minimize transfer taxes while achieving the client’s overall estate planning goals. Such planning techniques may include the use of:
- Life insurance trusts
- Qualified personal residence trusts
- Charitable split interest trusts
- Grantor retained annuity trusts
- Intentionally defective irrevocable trusts
- Multigenerational trusts
The firm's estate planning attorneys also counsel owners of closely held companies on business succession planning to develop the best method to transfer their business to the next generation. Planning may involve the use of entities such as limited partnerships and limited liability companies or trusts such as grantor retained annuity trusts and intentionally defective irrevocable trusts. Alternatively, it may be more appropriate to develop a plan to sell the business after the client’s death. In that regard, planning may include corporate redemptions, buy-sell agreements, and the use of life insurance to fund a buy out.
Barnett Bolt also offers related services, including asset protection planning and the preparation and review of premarital and postnuptial agreements.
A client’s estate plan may be affected by issues involving other areas of law. The firm's estate planning attorneys often utilize the expertise of attorneys in the firm's other departments to address such issues and to ensure that clients have a comprehensive and effective estate plan.
Barnett Bolt assists family members and professional fiduciaries in all aspects of probate and trust administration.
Probate and trust administration services include:
- Advising fiduciaries regarding their obligations and duties
- Preparing all probate documents and handling all probate court proceedings
- Assisting fiduciaries to gather, preserve, and value assets
- Addressing issues regarding the valuation of assets
- Preparing federal estate tax returns and other transfer tax returns
- Handling audits of any tax returns
- Representing the interests of the estate, trust, or beneficiary in contests or disputes
- Post-mortem planning (including the use of disclaimers)
- Advising beneficiaries regarding their rights
- Assisting fiduciaries in the preparation of fiduciary accountings, the distribution of assets, and the funding of trusts established in accordance with the estate plan
- Addressing real estate, business, tax and other related issues
Guardianship administration services include:
- Preparing initial court pleadings to determine if an adult is incapacitated or for the appointment of a guardian for a minor
- Handling all court proceedings
- Preparing all guardianship pleadings for expenditures and authority to act
- Advising guardians regarding their obligations and duties
- Preparing guardianship annual accountings and reports
The firm's attorneys represent many public charities, private foundations, and other tax exempt organizations. The attorneys have extensive experience forming private foundations and other tax exempt organizations and address all legal issues affecting such organizations.
Services provided to tax exempt organizations include:
- Preparing organizational documents
- Preparing the application for recognition of tax-exempt status
- Preparing tax returns and reports
- Developing planned giving programs
- Representing tax-exempt organizations as beneficiaries of estates and trusts
- Counseling the organization on an ongoing basis
Protect your company interests
- Contact the experienced Tampa estate law attorneys at Barnett Bolt.