Peter T. Kirkwood is a shareholder with the Tampa law firm of Barnett, Kirkwood, Long & Koche, P.A., where he has practiced in the areas of estate planning, tax, and tax-exempt organizations for more than 30 years. Mr. Kirkwood has written and lectured before attorneys and other professionals in estate planning and other tax topics related to his practice. He received his B.S./B.A. degree (Accounting) from the University of Florida, and his J.D. and LL.M degrees (Taxation) from the University of Florida College of Law.
Mr. Kirkwood is listed in “Best Lawyers in America” (2003-2018) under trusts and estates; tax law; and non-profit/charities law as well as one of “Florida Super Lawyers” in estate planning and probate (2006-2018). He was selected as Tampa’s “2010 Tax Lawyer of the Year” by “Best Lawyers in America” and again in 2015 and 2017. In 2014, he was selected as Tampa’s “2014 Trust and Estates Lawyer of the Year.” In 2016, he was selected as Tampa’s “2016 Non-Profit/Charities Lawyer of the Year,” and again in 2018.
Serving the community
Mr. Kirkwood’s community activities have involved serving on various boards and committees of charitable organizations, most notably on the Board of Directors of the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center Foundation.
- Tax Law
- Tax Litigation & Controversy
- Trusts & Estates
- The Best Lawyers in America (Non-Profit/Charities Law; Tax Law; Trusts and Estates) (2003 – 2018); Lawyer of the Year – Trusts and Estates, Tampa (2014); Lawyer of the Year – Tax Law, Tampa (2010, 2017); Lawyer of the Year – Non-Profit/Charities Law, Tampa (2016, 2018)
- Florida Super Lawyers (Estate Planning & Probate) (2006 – 2017)
- Florida Legal Elite (Wills, Trusts & Estates), Florida Trend Magazine, 2004 – 2009, and 2012
- AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Eckerd College
- University of Florida (B.S.B.A., with honors in Accounting, 1975)
- University of Florida (J.D., with honors, 1979; LL.M., in Taxation, 1980)
- Order of the Coif
- Beta Alpha Psi
- The Florida Bar (1979)
- Tampa Bay Estate Planning Council (1981 to present)
- Hillsborough County Bar Association (Treasurer, 1990-1991)
- The Florida Bar (Member, Tax Section)
- Member, Board of Directors of H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute Foundation, Inc. (1994 – present)
- “Income Tax Planning for Property Transfers to Charitable Trusts and Foundations,” The Florida Bar Journal, March 1992.
- “The Tax Reform Act of 1986: Provisions Affecting Individual Taxpayers,” The Florida Bar Journal, January 1987.
- “Drafting and Uses of Charitable Trusts Including Charitable Lead and Remainder Trusts,” The Florida Bar Continuing Legal Educational Course Materials (1985).
- “Estate Tax Marital Deduction under the Economic Recovery Act of 1981,” The Florida Bar Continuing Legal Educational Course Materials (1981).
- “The Ability of Professional Group Practices to Avoid the Coverage and Anti-Discrimination Requirements for Qualified Plans,” 33 University of Florida Law Review 99 (1980).
- Co-Author: “Tax Policy and Administration: An Interview With Commissioner of Internal Revenue, Roscoe Egger” The Florida Bar Journal, November 1984.
- “Sales and Use Taxes,” Florida State and Local Taxes (The Florida Bar 1984).
- “Tax Traps in Tax-Leveraged Salary Continuation Plans,” The Florida Bar Journal, March 1984.
- “The Use of a Revocable Trust to Defeat the Elective Share” The Florida Bar Journal, February 1983.
- Research Assistant, Florida Wills and Trusts Manual, Sun Banks of Florida, 1981.
- Editor, Tax Law Notes, The Florida Bar Journal, 1983-1984.
- “Estate Planning: Death Soon After Divorce,” Vol. 89, No. 1 January 2015, The Florida Bar Journal (2015).