Rachel is a partner in the firm’s Trusts and Estates and Tax Law departments. Rachel practices in the areas of estate planning, probate and trust administration and litigation, business succession planning and tax planning for high net worth individuals, business owners, and fiduciaries. She enjoys working with clients to design and implement plans to carry out their estate planning objectives, and often helps families and fiduciaries through the estate and trust administration process, including related tax issues and will and trust disputes.
Rachel earned her law degree, with honors, from the University of Florida Levin College of Law in 1999, subsequently earning her Master of Laws in Taxation from the University of Florida in 2001. Prior to attending law school, Rachel received her Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of South Florida in 1994, where she majored in International Studies and minored in German. With a background in international tax law, Rachel enjoys collaborating on international elements of client representations and frequently works with counsel in other jurisdictions to administer U.S. estates with foreign assets and foreign estates with Florida assets.
Rachel is active in the Real Property, Probate & Trust Law Section of the Florida Bar and is a graduate of the inaugural class of the American College of Trusts & Estates Counsel (ACTEC) Florida Fellows Institute. She frequently speaks on estate planning topics including charitable giving. A Tampa native, she lives in Tampa with her husband and her two young children.
- Tax Law
- Trusts & Estates
- Probate Litigation
- University of Florida Levin College of Law (J.D., with honors, 1999; LL. M. in taxation, 2001)
- University of South Florida (B.A. in International Studies, 1994)
- The Florida Bar
- U.S. Tax Court
- Board Certified by The Florida Bar, Wills, Trusts and Estates
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America (Trusts & Estates 2016 – 2018)
- Super Lawyers
- -Top 100 Lawyers in Florida, 2017
- -Top 50 Women Lawyers in Florida 2015-2017
- -Top 50 Lawyers in Tampa Bay, 2017
- -Estate Planning and Probate 2014-2017, Rising Star 2009-2012
- Florida Trend Legal Elite (Wills, Trusts & Estates 2013-2014,2016-2017, Up & Comer 2012)
- Tampa Bay Business Journal Up and Comer, 2009
- James M. “Red” McEwen Award for Outstanding Service to the Bar and the Community, Hillsborough County Bar Association, 2006
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY ASSOCIATIONS:
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of the Florida Bar
- -Executive Council Member
- -Co-Vice-Chair, Wills, Trusts and Estates Certification Review Course Committee
- -At Large Member
- Tax Section of the Florida Bar
- American Bar Association (Tax Section; Real Property Probate and Trust Section)
- Graduate of the Florida Fellows Institute of the American College of Trust & Estate Counsel (ACTEC)
- USF Women in Leadership & Philanthropy
- Hillsborough County Bar Association (Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section) – Real Property, Probate & Trust Law Section, Co-Chair, 2007-2010 – Leadership Institute, Member of 2008 Inaugural Class – Community Service Committee Co-Chair, 2004-2007
- Tampa Bay Estate Planning Council
- WEDU Professional Advisory Group Continuing Education Committee, 2009-2016
PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS:
- “Celebrity Wills” 2008-2017 (Crisis Center of Tampa Bay Legacy Council CE Course; North Suncoast Estate Planning Council; Estate Planning Council of Polk County; Community Foundation of Tampa Bay Legacy Luncheon; Tampa Bay Paralegal Association; Partnership for Philanthropic Planning of Tampa Bay).
- “Same-Sex Couples Married in Florida,” Planning Panel Discussion for Suncoast Hospice Foundation, June 28, 2016.
- Biel and Statute of Limitations for Proceedings Supplementary,” Asset Protection Committee of the Florida Bar Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, October 2015.
- “Disposition of Assets upon the Death of the Child,” The Lawyer (a publication of the Hillsborough County Bar Association), April 2009.
- “Planning and Probate Practice Pointer: Adopted and Emancipated Heirs in Intestate Estates,” The Lawyer (a publication of the Hillsborough County Bar Association), co-author, September 2008.
- “Practice Pointer: Residuary Homestead Devise,” The Lawyer (a publication of the Hillsborough County Bar Association), April 2008.
- “A Comparative Analysis of The Channel Islands and Isle of Man TIEAs,” Tax Notes International, co-author, December 16, 2002, at 1127.
- “U.S. Tax Information Exchange Agreements A Comparative Analysis,” Tax Notes International, co-author, October 14, 2002, at 145.
- Settling IRS Examinations and Tax Court Cases,” Tax Notes International, co-author, July 8, 2002, at 235.