Bob is a founding shareholder of the Firm, who concentrates his practice in the areas of complex commercial litigation, business law, taxation and retailing. After graduating with distinction from the University of Florida law school and the graduate tax program at New York University, he was privileged to serve two years as a law clerk at the U.S. Tax Court in Washington, D.C. Bob began private practice as a litigation associate in a specialty tax firm in Jacksonville, Fla., where he represented taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service, U.S. Tax Court, and various U.S. Federal Courts, and the Senate Watergate Committee. (1973-1974)
Co-founded and managed the Firm
After several years in Jacksonville, Bob moved to Tampa, and co-founded Barnett & Bolt, P.A., where Bob handled all of the firm’s litigation and tax controversies. While maintaining a full-time law practice, Bob also served as Chairman / CEO and then Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Firm for the first 37 years of its existence.
From litigation to corporate practice
Soon after moving to Tampa, Bob began representing one of Florida’s largest retailers in various lawsuits. That engagement grew and lead to his appointment as outside general counsel for that company. As the senior managers of that company left to work elsewhere, they hired Bob as their outside general counsel. Thus began a series of long-term outside corporate counsel representations that continue to this day, complementing his core practice of commercial, tax and administrative litigation.
Bob is a fourth-generation central Floridian, whose family proudly hails from Sanford. He and his wife, Nancy, are active members of the First Presbyterian Church of Brandon. He is an avid private pilot, saltwater fisherman and diver, and lover of Florida history and the Florida Gators.
- Corporate Governance
- Business Law, all aspects
- Real Estate Law
- Tax Controversies
- The Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Corporate Law and Tax Law (2013 – 2019)
- Florida Super Lawyers (Business/Corporate), Law & Politics Magazine, (2006 – 2019)
- Corporate Counsel – The American Lawyer Magazine, Top Rated in Commercial Litigation (2012)
- Tampa Bay’s Top Lawyers, Tampa Bay Magazine, July/August 2010
- Florida Legal Elite (Business Law), Florida Trend Magazine, 2005 – 2006
- One of “most influential” attorneys in southwest Florida, Tampa Bay Business Journal, 2004
- America’s Leading Business Lawyers (Taxation), Chambers & Partners USA, 2004
- AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell, continuously since 1981
- Military Service: U.S. Army Reserves (1969-1975).
- University of Florida (B.A., 1967; J.D., with honors, 1971), Phi Kappa Phi
- New York University (LL.M., in Taxation, 1972)
- The Florida Bar (1971)
- U.S. Tax Court (1974)
- All federal district courts in Florida (1974-1976)
- Member, Board of Trustees, Tampa Bay History Center, 2015-present
- Chairman/C.E.O., Barnett, Bolt, Kirkwood, Long & Koche, P.A., Tampa (1976-2008); Chairman of the Executive Committee (2008-2013)
- General Counsel, Minyard Food Stores, Inc., Dallas, TX (2004-2010)
- General Counsel, Sports & Recreation, Inc., formerly Jumbo Sports, Inc., Tampa (1999-2001)
- General Counsel, Kash n’ Karry Food Stores, Inc., (aka Sweetbay Supermarkets), Tampa (1988-1997)
- Chairman/President, Bay Area Legal Services, Tampa (1978-1980)
- Law Clerk to the Honorable C. Moxley Featherston, Judge, U.S. Tax Court, Washington, D.C. (1972-1974)
- “The New Original Issue Discount Rules,” The Florida Bar Journal, December 1984
- “Highlights of the Subchapter S Revision Act of 1982, Parts I and II” The Florida Bar Journal, March and April 1983